Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Mad Skills

Ben and I have been playing in this soccer rec league for most of the winter. I haven’t really played since 7th grade, but I pretty much enjoy any sort of athletic or competitive activity. Ben has never played soccer in an organized manner, but he picked it up really quickly and has made me proud. Sometimes my mind thinks that I have these mad skills that allow me to juke around players and score the game winning goal…my body however likes to push people when I’m trying to get the ball or “wimpily” kick the ball toward the net. Maybe my skills in the 7th grade weren’t as mad as I thought they were.

Regardless of our skills, we enjoy playing. We have met some new people and some of my co-workers play on our team as well. One of them got into a fight on Saturday that turned into a much bigger ordeal than it needed to. Almost everybody ran over to get in on the action and to help pull people off of one another. I didn’t feel like being one of “those” girls so I just watched from a few feet away. Two girls chest bumped each other, which I have always hated…why would you do that? It’s so unattractive to me, and doesn’t it hurt? Poor Ben was the closest person to the chest bumpers so he had to break them up and keep them from fighting one another. Finally the Ref blew his whistle and people started to split up. I couldn’t help but laugh at the fact that 20, 30, and 40 year olds just had a brawl. Wow.

Last night we got a bunch of people together to play volleyball at our church. Nobody threw down while we were there…so that’s a plus. One girl did get hit in the face twice by some pretty hard spikes. She was a trooper though and just kept on playing. Ben had this really sweet shoulder hit, where he didn’t even try to use his hands…he just jumped up in the air and swiveled his shoulder to hit the ball. It was hilarious.

After playing all these sports I am definitely ready for Spring. Spring means we can play Ultimate Frisbee, Wiffleball, Bocce Ball, Washers, and Softball. I can’t wait!!

No comments: