Monday, November 26, 2007

Black Friday

The Thanksgiving break was a tad busy...so this will just be my blog for all of those missed days. Brace yourself!

I had a great Thanksgiving on both sides of the family. I always forget how great family can make you feel until I am stuffing my face at the the table. I think it is the family that is making me feel great...or maybe it's that 5th piece of pumpkin pie.

After traveling to see Ben's family we drove home to sleep. Now we decided to be one of the crazies for the holiday season and participate in Black Friday. I have been trying to talk Ben into getting a new tv. We have this 21 inch television that I got when I went to college. You can't see crap when you watch it from our couch. So I begged and begged him...showed him ads to convince him. He told me no. Then his uncle told him it was a good buy and to get him one if we waited in line. Now Ben was on board. Glad that my persuasive skills work wonders on him. pshhh! Oh well...I am just glad that somebody talked him into getting this 37 inch flat screen LCD television for $550.

Anways so we got home at 1:30am, slept until 3:30am, bundled up, grabbed our Nintendo DS and headed to Target. We were about the 30th ones in line at around 4am. Now I have never been shopping on the day after Thanksgiving...and I was thinking that it couldn't be as bad as everybody said it was.

So here is the quick version of how it went down.
- Froze our butts off until 6
- Doors opened at 6 on the dot. We power walked (I looked super cool) down the isle at Target.
- I saw one of the newspaper photographers so I put on a normal face as I passed him and then resumed my scrunched determination face as I approached the stack of television boxes.
- Ben grabbed one TV and I grabbed another. Those puppies are heavy. We set them down in the women's clothing section. Then I left Ben to watch them as I made my way to the electronics.
- I never thought I would push or shove, but when every other person there is pushing and shoving you...it becomes a defense mechanism. So I pushed my way to the guitar heros. Which by the way included 2 guitars and Guitar Hero III for 85 dollars.
-There was some more looking, I went back and got Ben.... and then we got in, what we thought was the check out line.
-For the next 2 and a half hours we circled the store with other customers thinking we were heading for the registers.
-People starting yelling and getting very frustrated. Not even the employees knew which line was the real one. One guy even sent us to the back of a fake line that didn't move.
-By 8:00am there wasn't really anybody shopping. Just people trying to check out.
- We finally got home at 9:30 after our debit card failed at the checkout line. I guess it is a safety thing and wont allow you to spend very much at one time. So I had to hold up the line, run out to my car, and get the check book.
- We showered and slept until 4.
- Finally ate our first bite of food for the day around 5:30pm
- Set up our tv
-Picked up the house
-Played indoor soccer at 10:45pm and felt like DEATH!

But gosh darnit we got that TV!

Here it is in all of it's glory!




Following our experience...Ben told his Dad that he would be free for hunting on Black Friday for the next 50 years!

3 comments:

Kyle Luke said...

It'll be so worth it every time you realize that you can still see the picture on your television from three doors down . . .

Studio 7 Photography said...

just think about what you guys would look like standing in a similar line in China. Everyone would be at your waist and think you were godzillas

Bobby and Jason said...

very funny.

JJ